Tuesday, July 26, 2022

After the 2022 Provincial Chapter

After the 2022 Provincial Chapter

Our Eastern U.S.-Canada Province held its every-3-years provincial chapter from July 10 to 15.  At the "invitation" of Fr. Provincial, I'd been working on its preparation and organization since last September.  The chapter ended on Friday (except for remaining paperwork), I prepared for and celebrated one Sunday Mass, and I had 2 medical appointments on Monday.  Then, as soon as I could "escape," I took a clear-my-mind camping trip in Harriman State Park on Tuesday-Wednesday, July 19-20.

Photos:  https://link.shutterfly.com/rjuAR4vHQrb

I parked along Rte 106 (Kanawauke Rd) in the lot where the White Bar Trail crosses the road. There were 4 or 5 cars there 

(and when I returned on Wednesday nite, no others), but I didn’t encounter anyone on my trails.

Instead of going straight up Island Pond Road, the easier way to go, the way Fr. Jim Mulloy and I've used too many times to count, for a variation and some exploration, I hiked up the White Bar and Nurian trails (a combined 1 mile, thus .25 mile longer than the direct road) to the Nurian's intersection with Island Pond Road.  (On my way back, I took the direct IPR route all the way).

Another hiker reports the same basic hike, adding a couple of side trips: https://scenesfromthetrail.com/2017/05/20/boston-mine-and-island-pond-harriman-state-park/

There's a secluded, shaded camping area just before Island Pond where Fr. Jim and I have camped several times.  I reached it in about an hour, set up camp, 

and ate lunch (peanut butter and Ritz crackers).  I hung up my bear bag 

so as not to have to worry about my food while I was at the pond.  

At the pond I met a couple of seniors and 2 dogs enjoying the sun and the water.  I fetched about 4 liters of water from the pond (filtering, of course) and swam.  Before I retired for the nite, I took a couple more dips--such a relief from the heat!  Other traffic on the pond included a few kayakers.  

If it hadn't been so hot (above 90 degrees), I'd have pitched my tent inside the ruins of the ranger station at lakeside. 

But there's precious little shelter from the heat there.

Back in camp, I read, prayed, and had supper around 5:30.  In the sun the heat was oppressive; it must have been 10 degrees cooler in the shade, not really uncomfortable.  I didn’t need my tent fly in the warm, dry weather.  Insects weren’t bad at all on Tuesday and most of Wednesday, but I did come home with several itchy bites.  The site includes a fine fire pit, but no fire was necessary.  I slept better than I usually do when camping, and better than I did at the chapter.

I heard more visitors heading to the pond in early evening but didn’t see them (the campsite is well off the trail); judging from the noise they were pre-adolescent females screeching (anyone who has a sister or has worked a day camp understands!).  

On Wednesday, I was up at dawn and went to pond but only took pictures.  I celebrated Mass, ate, 

Coffee and oatmeal for breakast

prayed, read some more.  I had to move my chair from time to time to keep in the shade. 


No real napping.  Another gent and pooch visited the lake.  I swam some more.

I’d considered staying out one more nite but decided I’d had enuf R&R.  So I packed up gradually, alternating with reading and a bit of prayer (no ecstasies or other mystical experiences).  I had my freeze-dried supper between 5:00 and 5:30, 

Mac and cheese with Crystal Lite, 
followed by freeze-dried chocolate cheesecake (not shown)

finished packing, and was on the outward trail (Island Pond Road) at 6:25, back at the car at 7:20, home at 8:30.  On my hike out, I saw a flock of turkeys, 1 little snake in the road, and 1 deer 20 feet off the road that didn’t even go bounding off into the woods.  I hope no one’s disappointed that I had no ursine encounters.

It was a nice, relaxing, peaceful trip.  Solitude is good for the soul and even for the body!

No comments: