Friday, March 1, 2024

Visit to Grandfather's Grave

Visit to Grandfather's Grave


This afternoon I had the chance to visit the grave of my maternal grandfather.

I never knew my grandfather Ferdinand "Fred" Hirsch. In fact, my mother hardly got to know him because he was slain in the line of duty before she was 6 years old.

But Grandpa Fred Hirsch was always a source of pride in our family. His elder son, my Uncle Fred, followed in his police footsteps and wore his badge, no. 207. So did Fred's son, my cousin Joe.


Grandpa Fred was gunned down on May 6, 1931, by a teen thug (whose name I don't care to put here). He was just 31 years old and had been on the Nassau County Police force since April 4, 1927.

More at Patrolman Fred S. Hirsch, Nassau County Police Department, New York (odmp.org)

Laid to rest alongside Grandpa are his wife Freda, better known to us grandkids as "Nana Rita." Close by are my Aunt Felicia (his older daughter) and Uncle Bill Setteducati and my cousin Lynn's husband Charlie Bible.

No comments: