Sunday, August 20, 2023

Returning to the Timp

Returning to the Timp

On Monday afternoon, Aug. 14, I hiked for 3 hours from the Jones Point parking lot along 9W up the 1777 Trail to the Ramapo-Dunderberg Trail and, on to the Timp--a cliff overlooking vast expanses of Stony Point (including Girl Scout camp Addison Boyce, one of the lakes in the view), Haverstraw Bay, the Hudson River, and Croton Point.  


To the west is West Mountain, where the shelter is easily visible (whither I lead the Salesian Lay Missioners last year), 
West Mountain

and to the north Bear Mountain, including the Perkins Tower.  

View toward Bear Mt.

The last time I was up there was in 2012 with my godson.  It seemed to be an easier trip that time.

The 1777 Trail was used by British forces for their twin attacks on Fort Clinton (where the Bear Mt. Zoo is now) and Fort Montgomery (ruins partly preserved adjacent to a state historical museum).  Officially, it's closed at present due to "storm damage."  The damage was evident in 2 long stretches loaded with scree that had been washed down or uncovered in the heavy rains of about 4 weeks ago, and in 2 trees fallen across the trail.  With due care, no problem.

I parked at 97' elevation.  The Timp-Torne and R-D trails cross the 1777 at 860'.  
The 1777 and Timp-Torne intersection, marked by a cairn as well as trail blazes

That ascent was the hardest part of the trek, altho nothing was especially steep.  But to reach the Timp at 1,113', obviously there was still some climbing to do.  (I have an app that gives the elevations.)  About 1/4 mile along the R-D going west, the T-T meets it, and together they reach the Timp.  A couple of turkey vultures were sitting up there; they flew off on my approach.  There are spectacular views in several directions from this cliff, and I took photos.  https://link.shutterfly.com/oiB86eBbiCb

The climb up took about an hour and 20 minutes, including several pauses to catch my breath, drink water, and munch some trail mix.  The descent was a little faster, altho I went off trail at one spot following a well worn track; realized my error when I saw private property signs and a steel hunting blind up a tree, and backtracked about 80' to where I'd gone off.  Just over 3 hours round trip.  Good and tired when back at the car.

Not a single hiker on the way.  One solitary deer.  Lots of birds.  One or 2 dogs barking where the trail passes close to several homes.

No comments: