Sunday, December 11, 2022

Another Cold Adventure with NYC Friends

Another Cold Adventure with NYC Friends 

Two weekends ago, I camped a Fingerboard Shelter alongside a fine group of backpackers up mostly from NYC.  On Saturday, Dec. 10, I met up with most of the same group of new friends, plus a few more--9 others all together, under the leadership again of Ingrid and Richard.  It was even colder (no higher than 35 degrees) as on that other weekend, but with ample sunshine and scarcely any wind.

We met at the Silvermine Lake parking lot in Harriman State Park.  They were planning an overnite tenting adventure and were laden with backpacks, while I could only do a day hike with a knapsack.   Despite their packs, they set a quick clip while I, laden with twice as many years (and, evidently, more recalcitrant legs and lungs) as most of them, huffed along behind.

We went west up the Menomine Trail (1.5 miles) to the Long Path and made the short, steep ascent to the Stockbridge Shelter (1200', almost 500' up from Silvermine Lake).   We stopped for lunch there


A large Boy Scout troop (114 from West Milford, N.J.) was set up there; it's a great spot to camp at.

We continued north on the LP another 2.2 miles, crossing Rte 6 (Long Mountain Parkway) into the parking lot.

Before my friends continued their trek (another 3 miles or so on the LP), we took a couple of group photos.  Ingrid was shooting one and isn't in this photo, and most of the group are looking toward her.  (Maybe I'll eventually acquire the photo I shot for her with her phone.)


I said farewell there and returned to Silvermine via the Nawahunta Fire Road, most of which I'd not been on before.  This track ascends steadily for about half a mile to 958', mostly along a narrow trail between rhododendron and eventually opens up to views of a ridge on the left and hollows and swampy stuff on the right; and, at last to a fine view of a big marsh with Stockbridge Mountain beyond.

The road goes by the long-abandoned Lewis Mine (.3 mile from 7 Lakes Drive).  This old woods road is a more direct route between Silvermine and Long Mountain, 2.2 miles, than the LP-Menomine combo.  So my total hike was 6 miles, lasting 3.5 hours (including lunch).  Once back at the car, I treated myself to some hot Ramen noodles on this day that didn't get much above freezing in spite of vigorous sunshine.


No, I didn't pack the stove and fuel with me on the hike; I left them in the car.  And yes, this time I had my utensils with me.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I enjoy reading about your hearty hikes, from my safe and comfy sofa with a fuzzy blanket and hot coffee. Makes me shiver to imagine those conditions. 😂 See you soon Fr. Mike, Lord willing!