Sunday, March 28, 2021

Resuming the A.T.

Resuming the A.T.

In September 2014 (9/28 to 10/1) I did a 3-nite, 25-mile hike on the Appalachian Trail as a mini-vacation-retreat.  I started at the base of Anthony's Nose and hiked north thru Graymoor and past Durland Scout Reservation into Fahnestock State Park, where I finished.

That had been done with trees still in full leaf (and dropping thousands of acorns).  On Saturday, March 27, a gorgeous early-spring day, I returned to Fahnestock to pick up the Trail again where I'd dropped off--this time with the trees still winter-barren.

Eastward view from Shenandoah Mt., 1,282 ft.

After parking at Pelton Pond at 11:40 a.m.--as close as I could get to the beach at the north end of Canopus Lake--I hiked to the beach area and parked myself at a picnic table for lunch, about 15 minutes.  I found the blue hiking-snowshoeing trail leading thence up to the ridge; when it hit the AT, the snowshoeing portion turned left (southwest), while I turned right (northeast).  I'd met one day hiker on my way up; he was heading down to the lake.


Unlike the AT running along the ridge above the lake, this portion beyond the lake was generally flat and easy hiking, quite pleasant.  About a quarter mile along, I found 2 men (30-ish) at a tiny brook replenishing their water supply.  They told me they'd started near Bear Mt. (in other words, at the base of Anthony's Nose) and were on a 4-day jaunt; their packs had already told me they weren't day hikers.  I told them I'd see them again after I'd turned around to return, but in fact they caught up with me and passed me before that.

There were 8 or 9 other day hikers out, several of them with dogs; one of the dogs was extremely friendly, looking for a hug according to her owner; and she got one (the dog, that is).  Everyone, human and canine, was having a good time on such a fine day.

The trail gradually ascended Shenandoah mountain, where I found 6 or 7 folks and a dog hanging out in the sunshine (one gent was actually sunbathing) and enjoying the view.  There was also a neat 9/11 memorial painted on the bare rock.



I resumed my hike, the trail soon descending almost steeply toward Long Hill Road and the Dutchess County line.  About halfway down, within sight of a house that had to be along the road, I paused for a snack (and the group from the mountaintop came down past me, evidently returning to their starting point at the road).  By then it was 2:13 p.m., and while the road was an attractive end point, I had no desire to climb back up the mountain.  So I turned around there, sent one of my periodic email updates to Fr. Bill, and headed back up to the summit.

At the summit I noticed a Geodetic Survey marker.


The return hike went quickly and uneventfully, and with no further human (or canine) encounters until I was past the bath house and concession stand at Canopus Beach; a family of 3 passed me heading in that direction.

There's a large open field, bigger than Graymoor's, near the beach buildings, where thru hikers may tent camp.  No amenities at the field that I could discern except 1 picnic table and 1 fire ring.  Maybe in season the park rangers bring out more.  In the middle of the field there's a big electrical box on which someone had spraypainted (or maybe brushed) "I have hope."


Given this year's Salesian strenna, I had to take note of that.

Pelton Pond looked pretty as I passed by.  There was a lone woman seated near its shore, reading.  I got back to the car at 3:50, as I'd predicted from the AT-blue trail junction, and was home in time for Evening Prayer.  Beautiful day!


No comments: