Sunday, April 7, 2019

Meeting the Archbishop

Meeting the Archbishop

On Friday afternoon, April 5, I got a call from Nativity Parish.  Fr. Blake Evans, the pastor, invited me to that evening's Lenten fish fry dinner because they were expecting a "special visitor" whom he wasn't free to identify.

Math isn't my strong suit, but I can add 2 + 2.  I got my camera out, expecting that we'd be receiving our archbishop-elect, Wilton Gregory, whose appointment had been announced on Wednesday and who was in town starting to get acquainted with his new flock.
Moments after arriving, Abp. Gregory engages with one of the fish fry workers.

And that turned out to be a good guess.  Accompanied by Cardinal Donald Wuerl, our outgoing bishop, Abp. Gregory arrived shortly after 6:00 p.m., was greeted with applause, and stayed for 20 or 25 minutes, greeting this small portion of his flock--those on hand for a fish dinner and those who, like me, had been tipped off and specially invited.

The archbishop and cardinal were making a few parish rounds; they'd already had a supper somewhere before getting to Nativity.  And the archbishop had deliberately chosen this way to get to know the archdiocese rather than to go to a Catholic Charities fundraiser that same evening.  He proved to be friendly and patient, posing for numerous photos and chatting easily with folks and making a fine 1st impression. He was also pleased to know that he has Salesians in his new diocese and informed me that he'd had a Salesian professor in Rome once upon a time (I didn't recognize the name and don't remember now what it was).
Two Salesian Cooperators, Laura Juarez (l.) and Jocelyn Daughtry, with Abp. Gregory and Fr. Evans

No comments: