Thursday, May 19, 2011

Vacation

Vacation!

I was on vacation from May 11 to May 16; drove to Fredericksburg, Va., to stay with my brother, relax, do a little sightseeing, and drive a little further (actually, my brother did the driving) to Williamsburg to see my 95-year-old Aunt Mary (who's also my godmother).

Altho I celebrated 2 weekday Masses at St. Mary's in F'burg, and preached at them, I only concelebrated at the Sunday Mass and so have no homily to post for last weekend (without digging up an old one).

The sightseeing included a sandstone quarry that contributed to the construction of our nation's capital (e.g. the White House and the Capitol); 3 Civil War battlefields; and the new Smithsonian Air & Space Museum (fantastic!).A little bit of the Aquia sandstone quarry on Brent Island (Government Island) along Aquia Creek.

Confederate trenches on the ridge above the notorious "Bloody Angle" at Spotsylvania, where thousands of men on both sides fell in ferocious hand-to-hand combat lasting all day in a torrential rain--"the most expensive piece of real estate in America."













The Enola Gay Space shuttle Enterprise
The relaxing included reading, playing cards, watching TV, and reconstructing a disappeared Troop 40 photo album (from 1996-1998). And staying in bed till 6:30 or 7:00 every day!

No comments: