Sunday, October 31, 2010

Salesian Lay Missioners Program Transformed My Life!

The Salesian Lay Missioners
Volunteer Program Transformed My Life!
By Miriam Hernandez

Miss Hernandez was commissioned as an SLM in August 2009 and served for a year in Tijuana. After returning to her home in Bellflower, Calif., this summer, she wrote this reflection, which has been published in the Western Province's newsletter and shared with the Eastern Province's communications office.
Ever since I was six years old, my family and I have been a part of Saint Dominic Savio Parish. Here is where I grew up attending Mass and other activities. As I got older I entered youth ministry and “Savio,” as we call it, became my home. I got involved as much as I could in all events, retreats, workshops, and of course Camp Savio. I spent more time at Savio then I did at home. Here I made lifelong friends and learned a lot. I learned how to be a good leader, negotiate, practice good communication skills, and I had lots of responsibilities. Most important, I was having fun! My family wasn’t very functional, and the high school I attended wasn’t the best; but I was lucky to have a place like Savio. Here Don Bosco’s Preventive System made a difference in my life.
I didn’t realize at the time that I was living Don Bosco’s dream. I was just having fun with friends and taking challenges and responsibilities. J.C. [Juan Carlos Montenegro], the youth ministry director, took us on short missionary trips to Tijuana and Miami every year and promoted volunteer service. Gio [Giovanni] Garcia became an SLM volunteer the year before I did, and after hearing about his experience I felt the call. Something inside me told me that this was for me. I wanted to go and leave everything to make a difference, so I talked to J.C. He then put me in touch with Adam Rudin [at Salesian Missions in New Rochelle], and I began my SLM application.

I have to admit that when I got accepted I was nervous. Not only that—I was both excited and scared. I was excited because I felt like I was going to apply everything I had learned and knew, and I was doing God’s will. This decision also meant leaving my family, my friends, and my whole comfort zone. Not all of my friends were very supportive because I was going to take a break from school, and they just knew I wouldn’t be the same person when I got back. I was going to the unknown. Most of all, I was scared of failure. What if it was too much and I wasn’t able to handle it. All I could do was offer it all to God.

While I was in Tijuana, I didn’t feel as lonely as I thought I would. At times I did miss my family and friends, but there was so much going on that I was focused on the now. As a volunteer I wore many hats. I had to make sure the oratory stayed clean, I had to assist in making sure no one tagged, smoked, or drank. I helped prepare for Mass, etc. I taught two English classes and helped with catechism. In the mornings I helped in the office with printing or typing and took the kids out for recess. I was also the one who held all the keys and lent the playing equipment.

Being in Tijuana gave me many gifts, especially growth in my faith and a big reality check. I grew in faith by trusting in God that I wasn’t alone, that he was there with me even when times were rough.

It has been a month since I came back home. I wish I could have stayed longer. One year went by so fast, and I feel that it’s too short of a time to make a real, noticeable difference. After this year I feel that I can do anything and that I need to do more. I am back in school planning to major in psychology. My biggest plan is to be committed to Savio again and promote missionary service. J.C. and I have talked about starting a missionary group at Savio, and I am really eager to start.
Photos supplied by Miriam Hernandez.

No comments: